Search engine optimisation (SEO) is the process of increasing the quantity and quality of views your website gets from search engines such as Google.
This is done by focusing on certain parts of your website that a search engine looks for when you search for a specific page.
But how is this relevant to you?
If you’re reading this, chances are you have a website. Although the top search results for the words ‘Mortgage Broker’ are dominated by websites such as which.co.uk and moneysavingexpert.co.uk, there are things you can do to really zero in on those searches that are more relevant to you and provide a higher quality of website traffic.
What will potential clients be searching for?
- Location: Most potential clients won’t simply search the words ‘Mortgage Broker’. They may be searching for a broker in a specific location. So if you’re looking to draw the attention of clients from Newcastle for example, these clients would be searching for ‘Mortgage brokers Newcastle’ or ‘Mortgage brokers North East’
- Property: Do you specialise in dealing with landlords who own HMOs or maybe landlords looking to purchase short term lets? These clients may be searching for things such as ‘Short term let mortgage broker’
- Type of buyer: Looking to draw in more first-time buyer clients? Or maybe you specialise in portfolio landlords? Remember these clients may be searching on Google for different things than other types of clients
Some tips for boosting your SEO
- Search for other mortgage brokers on Google and pay attention to the titles of the search results that come up and the short descriptions of the pages below their titles. Identify what key words they are using and use this for inspiration
- Optimise the content on your webpages by ensuring the key words you have identified using the last tip are present on their relevant pages. For example if you have a webpage for first time landlords, make sure the words ‘first time landlord’ are present on the page
If possible, get other mortgage industry-based websites to link back to your website. This is called link building and it is recommended by Google as a crucial method to boost your website’s standing in search engine results